La Conexion website debuts in Roanoke

WFIR-LOGO-1A new on-line resource for Hispanics in the Roanoke Valley has just been introduced … its also about connecting that demographic to the rest of the community … WFIR’s Gene Marrano has the details

Play/Download News Clip

Click below to hear more from Keisha Graziadei-Shup on the new website:

Play/Download News Clip

 

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Roanoke vet receives Purple Heart for Korean War wound

wfir-linkSALEM, Va. (AP) _ An 85-year-old Roanoke veteran has received the Purple Heart six decades after he was wounded during the Korean War. Media outlets report that Herman Prillip received the Purple Heart on Saturday during a ceremony at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Salem. Prillip says he was accidentally shot in August 1950 when his sergeant fired during an ambush. He decided at the time not to seek the Purple Heart. When he decided decades later to seek the award, he says U.S. Army representatives told him his records had been lost. Representatives of the Veterans of Foreign Wars tracked down documents so that Prillip could be recognized.

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Officer on administrative leave after downtown incident

Roanoke-PoliceOn Saturday, shortly before 2 a.m., a crowd of at least 50 people left Stefano’s on the Market. An off duty Roanoke police sergeant noticed several of the people fighting and he asked for backup. A police captain, a lieutenant, two other sergeants  and three officers responded. While trying to disperse the crowd, officers noticed a man with a handgun. The officers drew their weapons and told the man to drop his gun. The suspect then turned toward the officers with the gun in his hand and a sergeant fired one shot. The suspect was not hit by the shot but did drop his weapon. The suspect, 26-year-old Malik Seanking Roman, was taken into custody. He’s charged with one count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. The sergeant who fired the shot has been placed on administrative leave pending a criminal and administrative investigation.

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Salem brick company suspends operations, furloughs workers

wfir-linkSALEM, Va. (AP) _ A Salem brick company has suspended operations and furloughed most of its workers until further notice.  C.W. McNeely, the president of Old Virginia Brick, announced the move in a letter to employees. The letter says decision comes after a seven-year decline in demand for its products. Old Virginia Brick produces bricks and pavers, including wood-molded lines that serve a niche market. McNeely says in the letter that the 125-year-old business is considering its options for the future, including filing for bankruptcy and finding new investors. When McNeely bought the company in 2006, it employed about 170 people at locations in Salem and Madison Heights. It’s unclear how many people the company still employs.

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook






Susan G Komen – Race for the Cure
Bedford Kegs & Corks
Social


NASCAR on WFIR
Test